Sunday, February 26, 2006

Article: Intel® Desktop Board D101GGC Review (Embracing 3rd Party Chipset?) - Part I

I made a review of this very interesting board from Chipzilla. This isn't a normal Intel® Desktop Board, this one is unique in more ways than one! This will be followed later on with my overclocking spree, as well as more extensive slew of benchies and torture testing as time permits. This is also the first among the series of Intel® branded board that I'm going to review, so stay tuned for other board reviews. Check it out.

What makes this motherboard a very interesting product is that, this is the first ever Intel® branded board (i.e. Intel® themselves built), that is comprised of 3rd party products. While this combination of different parts is fairly common in the likes of 3rd party vendors like Foxconn, Asus, and AOpen, this is unusual for Intel® since they will forego using their very own chipset technology on their own branded boards.

Will this Intel® board be able to live up with Intel®'s renowned capability to make great products? Will this be plagued with issues and incompatibilities found on low-end products? My torture chamber eagerly awaits...


Read more here!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dm. Nice blog site. Very informative. Do you have a review of the P5LD2 motherboard? Keep it up.

death_metal said...

Heya Killgore, I'll review it once I have the time :)....

Anonymous said...

nice review,actually its the firts one i`ve seen since i bought that motherboard in december 05, but it would be nice if you said how to overclock that card since you did it, also your article on p4 506 overclock didtn say anything about how to do it.i like your page is nice thanks btw

death_metal said...

Thanks anonymous =)...I have discussed this before using the ShoutOut section of my site since I've received numerous emails. The easy way to OC it is to:
1) Use 0304 BIOS
2) Use ClockGen
3) Set FSB on ClockGen
4) Reboot (do not shutdown)
5) And enjoy the OC

Do note that once you completely shut it off or powered down, then the OC settings will be lost and you'll have to follow Step 3 to 4 again. That's the limitation of the board.

As for the processor overclock, I made an article for overclocking processor in general. Check a gander here:
http://fanboyreview.blogspot.com/2006/04/article-overclocking-and-tweaking.html

Have fun.....

Anonymous said...

hi i'm the same from above,i know i have to use clockgen but i want to know what settings did you use, there are tons of (psl) i think or something like that,for this card d101ggc tell please since the ones i choose always hang,and i think i damaged 64mb of my 512ddr 400 doing it,also why rebbot?? the speed changes back to normal,thanks you're the only person who OC intel cards btw

death_metal said...

Heya, sorry to hear about what happened to your RAM. I'll post an update here, as soon as I got back home (I am currently out of the country) and have taken a look.

Anonymous said...

already home? :D

Anonymous said...

nice site man
1) Use 0304 BIOS
2) Use ClockGen
3) Set FSB on ClockGen
4) Reboot (do not shutdown)
5) And enjoy the OC
sounds easy but can you give me some numbers please??
i've tryed but my screen goes black and i can't reboot
spike_i 64hot

death_metal said...

Heya spike_i 64hot, not sure about the newer motherboards anymore. The one I use is an early revision. But if you are still using an older revision (-20x or -10x) then those steps should be applicable.

Try to increase the SetFSB value, say, from 133MHz, to 143MHz. You need to ensure that your memory can handle the overclock and same for power supply. If not, you'll indeed encounter no boot or black screen. The normal "disclaimer" applies to this kind of overclocking: do at your own risk.

Good luck..

Anonymous said...

wassup man thank for answer, i have another request if you can, where i can get bios 0314?? i've been lookin but i can't found it.
i guess my memory can handle until 155 mhz and is a -20x system, i have clockgen i'll try to do something, by the way i was trying to update bios and i screw up my motherboard :-( i guees i lost the cmos do you know if there's something i can do about it? i can't start my computer well it start but just a black screen.
was my stupid action of the day.
aaaaaaaaaa
pls help me if you can.
bye.

death_metal said...

Try contact support@intel.com and ask if you can get this BIOS.

For the BIOS problem, just perform the normal BIOS recovery process for that board. The steps should be up on the Intel support site (support.intel.com).