Sunday, May 28, 2006

Tech Link (Chipset): NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI supports Intel® Core™ uA

Looks like NVIDIA* has something ready for the new breed of processors from Chipzilla. From the looks of it, it's going to be a force to be reckoned with. Aside from the "usual" SLI capability, NVIDIA* is offering a lot more this time around. Of course, the biggest news for this chipset, like I already mentioned, is the support for the processors based on Intel® Core™.



I just hope they make a good chipset this time, not only in paper, but in actual performance. I personally owned one of their current NF for Intel, an Asus P5ND2 SLI, and it was a nightmare even at stock settings. The motherboard has been replaced thrice(3x) and it will still not even become uber stable for me, that I have to ask for a full refund! My experience before sucks, so I am hoping that the new one will not suck so bad, and be great not just in their Flash animation and documentation, but in actual performance.

Another things I notice which I'd say is a minus is the 1066FSB settings. Unlike Intel chipsets, their stated maximum FSB such as 800MHz, is normally really not the maximum. Think of it as an artificial limitation, since, as experience shows, even before the time of i865P chipsets, these babies are capable of hitting 1200FSB! Now with my experience with Asus P5ND2-SLI, they did have a headroom, but not even enough to reach 1000FSB. Yes, literally, it can hit this FSB, but nowhere near the stability of Chipzilla chipsets.

Anyway, aside from that, it looks really great in paper. Here's the link to the technical specifications.

And oh, I added a demo of nForce® 500 on the left side of the site. Check it out.

No comments: