Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tech Link (Storage): Sony to ship 50GB Blu-ray recordables in June

I am not so excited about the technology, but I think someone out there is or even planning on getting one. I mean hey, it's 50GB of full data goodness, saves a lot in terms of those precious space on your work area. At least, in my case, it'll save me tons, really lots of space since my work area and my mess area is the same, yay, keeps those scattered CDs reduced to a few pieces!

Anyway, this technology is heaven sent for those who really need lots of storage capacity for such a compact media. While I still haven't opened my DVDWriter which I bought eons ago and haven't found a use yet, there is a 25GB flavor that is shipping already. I guess I am being left behind, not that I mind though.

Anyway, if you are one of the storage FanBoyz, check the full story at RegHardware. And oh, did I mention they aren't cheap? Ooops...

Source:RegHardware

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, they will be costly indeed. Better to get a laptop with the works including the BD option for $3000.

Still, it is too early to buy it, I will have to ditch my plans for that for next year. Let me concentrate on the GPU and PPU first.

death_metal said...

The way I see it, it's going to be great for companies that really needs a reliable (I hope it is) way of storing data, without having to have a large cabinet to store all of the back up media. 50GB is a totally huge space. But until the price comes down, mainstream application may not see the light, at least not yet.