Sunday, May 21, 2006

Brag: Intel® D975XBX "Bad Axe" Rev302 supports Conroe!

Super Cool. I always knew Intel®-branded (as opposed to Intel®-chipset-based) motherboard rocks in overclocking. I used to be one of the very few who plays with Intel-branded board and overclocking them. I think, I am also one of the very few who really gives Intel®-branded board a serious look in overclocking, beyond the very basic Intel® Desktop Control Center utility (Intel's limited overclocking software), any Intel branded board. Heck, I even wrote an article about: A Tale of Non-Overclockable Boards turned Overclockable and how previously-thought poor overclocking boards actually rocks big time and I quote myself:

Looking back at the term "overclocker friendly" board, I can safely assume that any board, that can be modded via hardware or software, can be called overclocker friendly. A motherboard, that offers options, and yet can't even live up to the stability and extent of its options, can't be said "overclocker friendly". I mean, come on, you have the options, and yet, can't even use it well. What good these options are if it's next to being useless. Having a useless option can be equated to having no option at all. Of course, I never said and never meant that a board that has options and can live up to its options isn't overclocker friendly, they are just uber friendly =)


Heck, I even overclock an Intel® D101GGC value board!

But this month, I feel I have just attained one of my goal when "preaching" about the capability of Intel-branded not just at stock settings, but even at overclocking sports. The advent of the "Bad Axe" board has changed the landscape dramatically. The name "Intel" in the overclocking scene has reached and grabbed deaf ears and blind eyes of the enthusiasts and changed how they looked at Intel-branded boards.

So, if you're one of the few that have this board and would like to make the most of it, then check out the mods made by enthusiasts. And while there's not many posts in that thread, there are already some who have used the mod to partner it with Conroe.

Check out:
FCG's Conroe-support Mod
The_Stilt's vDimm Mod

The two mods completes the cycle. The first mod not just allows Conroe support, but gives vCore options! The second, adds vDimm higher than what is currently allowed, but is optional since this option is already available (not just too high). To follow are optional vDroop and cMCH mods (which are also available, so just expect improvements).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

overclocking D101GGC? Got one have no idea what i'm doing or can do, can you tell me some steps to get atleast alittle results?

death_metal said...

Yep, it's been discussed on the ShoutOut. But here it is:

1) Ensure you have 0304 BIOS, newer ones is a no go
2) Use ClockGen
3) Change the FSB
4) Reboot (don't shutdown)
5) Enjoy the speed increase

Remember, if you shut it down, the system will revert back to default.