Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tech Link (Processor): CPU與記憶體 : AM2 FX-62與Conroe E6700比較!

Sorry for the funny characters, but that's is what I copied and pasted from Coolaler's website. I didn't took the time to convert/translate the text since the tools I used aren't that accurate. I can not really understand the text written there, even when translated to English. Yes I can read them when translated, but I think some of the thoughts are lost because of the process, so if there's any error in my analysis or any details that I might have provided incorrectly, just let me know. In any case, the graphs and figures are easy to understand.



Before anything else, I'd like to mention that the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 isn't the top of the line processor. The way I recall it, AMD* FX-62 should be the cream of the crop processor, priced at around $1,000. So the match up, is well, un-matched as the equivalent should be an Intel ® Core™ 2 Extreme X6800 (and even then, Chipzila CPU is not even rated as 5GHz, while AM2 FX-60 is rated somewhere AM2 X2 5000+ and so, AM2 FX-62 is rated somewhere AM2 X2 5200+).

This is really where A*'s rating is becoming more and more questionable, i.e. how they are rating their processors' performance. A*'s CPUs, like 3200+ is supposedly roughly equivalent (or faster, hence the use of "+") of Chipzilla's GHz ratings. So at 4000+ and above, there is currently no Chipzilla part that can be "equally matched" or compared.

So anyway, I'll skip the FanBoyism a little, and proceed with the nitty gritty. Oops, btw, the AM2* FX-62 on the testbench is dubbed super because from the stock settings of 14x200=2.8GHz, it is overclocked at 10x300=3GHz. Well, if any AMDroid is screaming how this isn't "super OC", well boohoo to you, A* chips mostly don't OC well with uber marginal MHz unlike I* chips. Umm, I'm losing my track again, but anyway, the overclocked AM2* FX-62 should be looking like an AM2* FX-64 because of its tweaked settings!

But of course, the I* chip is also tweaked, only that it's got its clock speed decreased. Yep, it's not a typo, decreased, as in lowered down. This is to match the same memory speed between the two processors. I* chip is tweaked from its stock of 10x266=2.66GHz to 8x300=2.4GHz. So now, the two processors can use the same memory speed, only that I* is toned down in clock frequency by about -200MHz while A* is rigged by about +200MHz.



So as you can see from the above settings, AM2* FX-62 looks to have an all around better settings. But, is this really the truth? Of course, this a FanBoy website, who do you think is going to win? Well, it's no brainer, but it's like watching a good anime replay, you're watching it not just because of the ending, but because it's fun to watch all the action sequences and amazing showing of their special powers.

So here's the comparo:







And for 3D benching? Image is large, so just click here.

And for the source of all this info? Coolaler FTW

No comments: