Saturday, April 28, 2007

Article: The Journey with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6320, Breaking The Norm (Part III)

This is the third part of the article about overclocking the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6320, and it picks up where the the second part left off. If you haven't seen it yet, you may also want to check out the first part of the article. Expand to read the continuation...

After the successful 75% overclock, which translates to 465MHz from the stock of 266MHz, I decided to try and see if I can still push the system. At this overclock of the motherboard, and processor, I am also overclocking the memory for about 16%. System memory aren't really known to overclock beyond 10%, but this is no ordinary memory, and I will rely on this memory to help me push my overclock further. With the limitations at hand, the processor and motherboard at 75% overclock, RAM at 16%, I set my eyes to reaching the coveted 500MHz. At this settings, the overclock will hit an astounding 88% for the processor and motherboard, and it will be 25% overclock on the system memory.

::Overclocking and Benchmarking Notes::
At this settings, the RAM can not work with full stability if the voltage is not set to 2.3vDIMM. I also have to loosen the timings to CL5. I know that this will significantly increase latency, and may affect benchmark scores. However, I am not after an improved benchmark score in terms of effiency, but more of how far I can push the processor before it bends on its knees.

At first, 500MHz which translates to 3.5GHz and DDR2-100MHz, it would seem really impossible. I am against all odds with such a limited parts in my arsenal, an unmodded motherboard, a RAM that runs at DDR2-800MHz and an aging Thermalright XP90. Couple that with an ambient temperature hovering at 35c to 36c, I am just pushing this baby with mere guts and passion for overclock. Like what I mentioned on the first part of the article, I am changing my stance now and ready to give this processor all that I've got.

While I push the FSB 10MHz at a time, I eventually reach 500MHz. But this doesn't come without a price, 1.38vCore is needed to make it fully stable. While it doesn't seem like a whole lots of voltage, the impact on the core temperature is overwhelming. The system is now idling at 44c, and full load at 67c, my Thermalright is working at full speed, and I can feel all of its four heatpipes brimming with heat. Adding a fan to cool these heatpipes did helped, but there's only so much that this solution could work. But luckily, the system held well, and unbelievably, completed all benchmarks like its nothing. The memory, processor, and motherboard are all working fine and dandy. As such, I can now show more benchmarks and results. Check them out...

::Benchmarks::
Gaming:
Doom3: Low Quality-640x480


3DMark Benchmarks:
3DMark01: Overall


3DMark03: CPU


3DMark05: CPU


3DMark06: CPU


Aquamark03: CPU


Multimedia/Multitasking/Multithreading Benchmarks:
Cinebench: Render Score


Cinebench: Render Time


PCMark05: Overall


SANDRA: CPU


SANDRA: Multimedia


wPrime: 32M


SuperPi: 1M


Memory Benchmarks:
SANDRA: RAM Bandwidth


Others:
WinRAR


Temperature


Loaded Temperature Screenshot


::Closing Thoughts with 88% Overclock::With how things are going, I know that it won't be long till hit the ceiling. Whether it's the processor, memory, or motherboard, I still have yet to see. For now, things are going well, but a little over the edge already. If you plan on overclocking your system at this settings, a good aftermarket cooler can really help. I still plan to overclock it even further, and I hope you'll come back again to accompany me with my journey. Till next...

No comments: